International statistical cooperation
In order to achieve internationally comparable statistics a high degree of coordination is required across countries. Statistics Norway has been active for many years in the international arena with a view to contributing to and influencing the development of common methodologies and concepts in the production of official statistics.
International cooperation and coordination has become increasingly important in the globalised world. Through the EEA Agreement, Norway is integrated into the European statistical system.
Norway's membership and involvement - particularly in the following international organisations - entails an obligation to provide statistics in accordance with certain standards and quality requirements:
- United Nations (UN)
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD)
- International Monetary Fund (IMF)
International commitments are:
- Adaptation of the Norwegian statistical system to international standards
- Reporting of Norwegian statistics
- Active participation in international decision-making bodies and expert groups
- Improving the quality of statistics for our users
Active participation in the international cooperation to improve statistics is one of the major goals presented in Statistics Norway’s Strategy.